Sunday, February 13, 2011

Let your light shine

Here is a snippet or teaser of a post entitled Let Your Light Shine that I found on the blog Metanoia

…if we believe that we are created in God’s image. If we believe that love is better than hate. If we believe that mercy is better than condemnation. If we believe that helping is better than hurting. Where does our logic break down? See, I believe that these things are true. I believe that it is closer to the reality of the “is-ness” of life to say that we should love each other. But often I take a backward leap of faith and I don’t do it. I act in small selfish ways. I take the resources I’ve been blessed with and I squander them and refuse to share with people around me who are hurting. I believe that it is my job to help bring heaven to earth, but then I ignore all the hells on earth (and all too often I help create them).

So I encourage anyone who believes in the chance plus time version of life to continue to look at the logic of the position, but to continue to make that leap of faith to work towards love and justice. Even if you don’t believe in God, when you work for love, you are working for God. And I encourage Christians to follow the logic of your faith. If we believe what we claim to believe then it will change the way we act towards those around us. Christianity can’t just be a social club for people who “get it.” If the Gospel is good news, then it has to be good news for everyone. It should be good news to the person you’ve been hateful to that you are being changed by the Spirit. It should be good news to the downtrodden, the poor, the orphans, the immigrants, that you are being made new.

If Christianity is just about you getting right with God, then you are missing the point. Re-birth is the starting line, not the finish line. Let your light shine.

— Andrew Mills

No comments: