Monday, February 27, 2012

Cutting the strings

                        There now, they've all gone
                        Almost as if they never had been
                        I turn my eyes backwards
                        I gaze into my own gaze
                        I turn my eyes inwards
                        I gaze into my own face

                        I built my prison stone by stone
                        How many useless knots I tied
                        I dug the pitfalls in my path
                        How many useless tears I cried
                            Here to build in worlds of beauty
                            No-one made a joy a duty
                            No-one, no-one but me

                        I saw the birds that flew so free
                        I envied them their grace divine
                        I saw the dancers’ airy steps
                        Theirs was a different world than mine
                            Here to build in worlds of glory
                            No-one made my sad, sad story
                            No-one, no-one but me

                        When useless walls come tumbling down
                        Sparrows will sing on the fallen stones
                        Adam will pull the knife from his brow
                        Eve will lick the salt from his wounds
                            Free to make my own tomorrow
                            Free to free my heart from sorrow
                            Free to hear and smell and see
                            Free to be me, free to be free

No comments: