Saturday, December 4, 2010

Hebrew Orthodox Christianity

It was at least two years ago that I discovered Av Aleksandr Winogradsky Frenkel on the internet through a webpage that I think is no longer online. Av Aleksandr is a Greek Orthodox priest ministering in modern Israeli society, in effect, within what can be termed a Hebrew Orthodox Christian environment. I was very interested in learning more, and even exploring the possibility of going to Israel and join him in his work. I contacted him, but his response was to discourage me from thinking that I could put up with the hardships of the apostolic call in the Holy Land. Perhaps he also thought I was too naive, despite my facility with languages. But that's exactly why I wrote him, to test the waters. Since his response was negative, it's not what the Lord wants me to do, at least not now.

Nevertheless, I haven't forgotten Av Aleksandr, and this morning I rediscovered him on FaceBook, along with many photos, and a list of his webpages. He is a busy man, in the good sense I mean, busy with the Lord's work, online and in the real world. Some of his webpages are in French, but three of the English ones, I have added under Hebrew Orthodox Christianity in the sidebar of my blog. I still find it very interesting and encouraging to know that a Hebrew Orthodox Church is being restored in the land of Israel, picking up, even prophetically, where the Jerusalem Church left off with the invasion by the Romans and the destruction of the Second Temple.

Orthodox Christianity in the land of Israel is predominantly Arabic speaking under the leadership of Greek hierarchs and priests (who also can speak Arabic), along with a growing number of other Orthodox nationalities, some of them of non-Jewish heritage, but some literally Jewish by descent. My interest in the restoration of a Hebrew Orthodox Christianity comes primarily from my studying and reading the Tanakh (Old Testament) in Hebrew, but there is also a hereditary interest as some of my ancestors may have been Polish Jews, as my surname is Jewish. I also just love the Jewish people, and the land of Israel.

These are times in which much prophecy is being fulfilled before our eyes without our knowing it, sometimes we are in fact walking in the paths of prophetic fulfillment without knowing it. These are times in which we must pay close attention. “I shall come like a thief. Happy is the man who has stayed awake…” (Revelation 16:15). What is Good News for those who believe in Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior will be bad news for those who do not believe, but this belief is not just head knowledge or agreement, it is trust in the Living God that moves mountains. “The kingdom of God is not just words, it is power” (1 Corinthians 4:20).

“Because the time is close” (Revelation 1:3), I want to encourage you all as I am encouraged by the knowledge that the Lord is doing such works as these among His hereditary people, the people of Israel, by the hand of His servant, Av Aleksandr, and I invite you also to learn more about this ministry by visiting his webpages. How much is done in secret for the Lord, but He will reveal everything when He comes, “and they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever” (Daniel 12:3).


4 comments:

Unknown said...

He is my friend on FB too!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog!
Khag Hadassiyah 2012

OrthodoxJew said...

Hello,

You've probably heard this a dozen times in your life, but consider that the Torah bids the Jews honor the Covenant that God made with them by following the commandments. Would it not indicate a stark deviation from that Biblical injunction to follow the path of Christianity? Does the Torah not tell the Jews to avoid following the religions of the other nations? If so, and the great irony is, that the Christians over everybody else would encourage the Jews to be faithful to the path of the Torah.

What do you think?
Yaniv...

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Brother Yaniv, for a Jew to follow the path of Christianity could be a stark deviation from biblical injunctions in the Torah, but not necessarily. It depends on what kind of Christianity we're talking about.

Orthodox Christianity is still very close to Judaism, and even the belief in the three-personal yet undivided Divine Nature (HaShem) is held in some mystical Jewish paths, some Kabbalah paths, for example.

Converting to 'evangelical' (read: modern, founded in the last 100 years or less) Christianity, which has no foundation in Judaism even though it renders it lip-service, would certainly separate a Jew from his roots.

Personally, I encourage Orthodox Jews to be faithful in the way of their fathers. Jesus of Nazareth, notwithstanding what some Christians believe about Him, is still a Jew and always will be. The Gentile Church is still only a co-heir of the Promise with Israel, and only by being grafted in, through Jesus.

If you believe in Moshiach, as we believe in Christ, let us serve HaShem together in unity and peace, respecting each other's faith, and let Moshiach find us brethren dwelling in unity when He comes as our King to judge the earth.

Shalom,
Romanos