Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Only One Miracle

Today on the feast of Theophany, at the banks of the Jordan River in the land of Israel, a miracle is said to occur. A cross is cast into the waters of the river, and the river changes direction: it flows upstream towards the sea of Galilee. The cross is retrieved by divers, the one lucky enough to actually bring it back up is considered blessed. Though many try, only one is the winner, a pattern we’re familiar with from nature. Many seeds attempt to conceive a child; only one succeeds.

(Yes, after the cross is retrieved, the river flows down stream again.)

Many people, even Christians, will doubt that this miracle of the river reversing its flow actually takes place, in spite of seeing it on film. They will say that it is either an illusion, or that it is a satanic counterfeit. The same sort of critics will say the same things about an even more impressive miracle, the appearance of the Holy Fire in the kouvouklion of the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem on the feast of Pascha (Orthodox Easter). I have no argument with them. Let them believe what they like.

Myself, I have never witnessed either miracle in person, but personally neither do I doubt that they occur. Before I ever heard of them, I believed. After I heard of them, the same. My faith was not planted or even strengthened by either of them. I rejoice that they occur and that the faith of others is planted or strengthened by knowing of them or witnessing them. Everyone has a custom path to walk with Jesus, and it is none of my business, except to help them walk it when I can.

Still, there are doubts about such miracles. In the past I have voiced such doubts about the validity—I should say, authenticity—of miracles that occur in other faith communities. I doubt the Marian apparitions to Catholics. I doubt the miracles that are televised daily among the Pentecostals. Do I doubt them because they are said to happen among people of other faiths? Well, to be honest, that’s how I started out, but with more experience and knowledge of the scriptures, when I doubt miracles, anyone’s, even those among the people of my own community, it’s because I’ve concluded that ‘God just doesn’t work that way.’ And, of course, I could be wrong, but I don’t think that my salvation depends on it either way.

How do I come to this conclusion? Again, from studying the scriptures, and even the Church fathers, though selectively, as they can be just as mistaken as I can be. If there is one principle in whose light a miracle can be examined, it is this: Is it an isolated occurrence that is otherwise purposeless, or is it in some fashion an expression of the unique miracle of the resurrection of Christ leading us back to Him? If a miracle is of the first type, then I have doubts or at least reservations; if it is of the second type, then I acknowledge and accept it. Either way, it is still not for me to judge for others.

For some, Christianity would be dull and featureless if it weren’t for miracles such as those that are witnessed publicly. For me, real miracles are happening daily, even momentarily, with a constant and dependable regularity. What kind of miracles am I talking about? Well, I suppose most people would say that life itself and the continuance of the universe is hardly a miracle, but for me that’s what they are. Beyond that, there are the miracles of human goodness: kindness, generosity, sympathy, forgiveness, repentance and faith. How can anyone have these without supernatural grace?

Either the world is full of miracles, or it is devoid of them; or perhaps they are, after all, just those rare occurrences when the usual operations of nature seem to be interrupted. One thing is sure, one miracle certain, or else all discussion of the subject grinds to a halt, reduced to mere speculation on magic. Only one miracle deserves the name, because forward and backward it is the source and meaning of all others that claim to be miracles. Only one miracle, the resurrection of Jesus Christ. All miracles in time before it draw substance from it, as do those that follow it in time.

The Lamb slain before the foundation of the world, through Him was the world made.

Preceding and drawing life from it: Aaron's rod changed, the waters of Egypt made blood and the other plagues, the parting of the Red Sea, the waters of Marah sweetened, the manna and quails provided in the wilderness, the water from the rock struck by Moses, the serpent image healing those stung by snakes, Balaam's ass speaking, the river Jordan parting, the walls of Jericho falling, the sun and moon standing still, the widow of Zarephath’s meal and her son raised from the dead, the descent of the Holy Fire on Mount Carmel for Elijah, the cure of Naaman’s leprosy, Elisha’s bones reviving the dead, the deliverance of the three holy youths in the fiery furnace, the safety of holy prophet Daniel among the lions, and Jonah’s survival in the belly of the sea monster: all expressions of the miracle to come.

The Lamb on the Throne who alone is worthy to open the seven seals of the scroll, in Him is the world remade.

Yes, there is really only one miracle, the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

No comments: