Friday, February 19, 2010

Desert Mothers

The picture above just took my breath away. In the high Sonora desert at the foot of Mount Graham lies the Serbian Orthodox women's monastery of Saint Paisius Velichkovsky. Here is an article with pictures that Fr Milovan has posted at his blog, Again and Again. This monastery must be a well-kept secret, as I had never heard of it.

The sisters have a MySpace site, which you can visit as I briefly have, and see what they are doing. It looks like they have uploaded some of their music. I'll be going back there for more visits, and I invite you to do the same. I've also added a link to their site in the side bar.

1 comment:

Jim Swindle said...

It's a beautiful photo. There's a value in creating beautiful buildings. We need to strike a balance between over-emphasis on such things and under-emphasis. It's not appropriate for us to expect people in poverty to produce lavish church buildings. It's also not appropriate to say that a church building that looks like a Wal-Mart is as good as one where the architecture points us to heaven.