Monday, February 15, 2010

Καθαρά δευτέρα

As for me, the first day of the Great Fast finds me working away at my technical writing job, today translating a machine manual into French. I feel pretty empty, really. Drinking a thermos of some kind of smoky Asian tea, probably Lapsang Souchong, that I found in a cupboard in the company lunch room, and having eaten the second of my two bread rolls, I went to look at some of my favorite blogs. I know I shouldn't do this two days in a row, but I am going to quote a passage from today's poem by my friend and brother, David Dickens. Please go ahead and read the whole poem by clicking the link after his name, but these few verses spoke to me strongly. Our best intentions are always being eroded. If that's not proof that we are living in a body of sin in a fallen world, I don't know what is. But our good and loving God, He knows us through and through, and He is strong to save…

What mockery made us believe
We could bribe the king of heaven
Or hide in myrrh’s thick smoke?

Light candle, say a prayer rote
Sing the appointed hymn loudly
Bow and scrape, kiss the cross

What are these to a dark heart?
Empty delusions, death by lies
Futile efforts He will not endure

But if we wash one another
Returning again with thanksgiving
Learn and grow, give and love


— David Dickens, First Hour of Turning, Nothing Hypothetical

2 comments:

Jim Swindle said...

You quoted the best of the poem. These stanzas are truly outstanding.

yudikris said...

great reminder in the beggining of this Great Lent :). Thanks Romanos for sharing this with us, Thanks David for the beautiful poem!