Saturday, July 3, 2010

Αποκάλυψις Ιωάννου - Revelation

After much delay I have spent this morning finally recording the entire text of the book of Revelation in the Greek New Testament. Reading the Αποκάλυψις Ιωάννου in Greek aloud is a discipline that I've had for several years. It's a regular part of my spiritual life. Lately, due to some health issues and other challenges, I have not been able to do this reading, for myself or for others, or to record it, for several months. My life is returning to a more regular rhythm, and so I hope to continue my Greek New Testament blog, Η Καινή Διαθήκη, adding next the Gospel according to John, then his letters, then the Gospel according to Mark, then the letter to the Hebrews, and so on.

I originally planned to do this to help my Greek students (I read Greek as a private coach), but I think it may be a valuable resource online for anyone who wants to listen to, or study and learn with living (not theoretical) Greek pronunciation, the New Testament in the original language.

Not only the Greek, but also the Hebrew, originals of the holy scriptures are what I promote. I am an "original languages bible man," although most Christians can't make much sense out of this. For my reasons, read Greek, why bother? and its prequel Hebrew, why bother? And then just look for the Greek and Hebrew scriptures scattered throughout this blog.

The bottom line for me is, to enter as fully as possible into the apostolic and prophetic mind, I must think the thoughts of the apostles and the prophets as they thought them, in their idiom. I must hear their voices speaking. This is, perhaps, a function of the call of Christ on one's life, and so I offer this work with humility, knowing it is just a start.

To hear a sample of my reading, go to Αποκάλυψις Ιωάννου - Revelation, and click on any of the 22 chapters of this closing book of the bible.

To assure yourself that I am not going to start lecturing you or anyone on what this book of the bible means, read my post,
A ramble on Revelation.

Finally, I try not to toot my own horn too often, but because my Greek New Testament blog had almost withered on the vine, I wanted to bring it to my readers' attention just one more time.

7 comments:

Orthodox Christian Resources said...

I am an "original languages bible man," although most Christians can't make much sense out of this.

I'm right there with you on that!

The bottom line for me is, to enter as fully as possible into the apostolic and prophetic mind, I must think the thoughts of the apostles and the prophets as they thought them, in their idiom.

My thoughts exactly! I completely agree. It is one topic I like debating other people on, that is, if it important to learn Greek or if English translations are enough.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Pandelis,

Right, are English translations enough? Well, obviously not, if you take a look "around the block" at the churches and see how much ανομία abounds there. But if you cannot even get Christians to read and understand the English version rightly, it's not surprising that they scoff at us reading the Greek, as if we were some kind of obscurantists.

The Word of God is only dark for those who won't take off their blinders.

Πας ο ποιων την αμαρτίαν και την ανομίαν ποιει, και η αμαρτία εστιν η ανομία.
1 John 3:4

Word verification: roarld

あじ said...

You are so right about getting people to understand even the English versions. I really don't know Greek at all, but I read on the internet with an interlinear that has built-in dictionary and concordance data, so I can examine the original to my (very limited) ability. Something is better than nothing.

I love the sound of Greek. It's so elegant. Thank you for posting your recordings.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Thanks, あじ、for commenting!
I have never heard of anyone calling the sound of Greek "elegant," but I too love the sound of Greek. It is a strong and yet gentle masculine thrust to it. Even one of the church fathers, Ambrose or Augustine maybe, commented that the translation of Greek scriptures into Latin somehow emasculates them, they lose much of their punch. I'd agree with them as regards Greek to Latin, but I am glad that English isn't that way. It can have as much force as the Greek, when you want it to.

AR said...

What a wonderful labor, a truly good discipline! I took two years of Greek in college but I have let it fall by the wayside. I originally took Greek, though, for similar reasons. Good for you for keeping it up.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

I will be learning Greek and Hebrew for the rest of my life, and promoting both to "those who have ears" for it. Thanks for your comment.

I find that listening to a recording of the scriptures read in the original languages, even when one doesn't understand very much of the individual words, has benefits for one's spiritual life.

I listen to my own recordings for that reason, and also to an audio Tanakh (Old Testament) being read in Israeli Hebrew by a rabbi. For me, though, I understand 70-90% of the Greek without translating it in my mind, and about 50% of the Hebrew, but I'm getting better.

I know that this is not for everybody, though, but for those to whom it is given.

AR said...

Yes...