Sunday, July 26, 2015

Always yes, or no

Humanity can get smarter,
but humanity will never be smarter than God.

Is there ‘progressive revelation’? Yes, and no.
Jesus says,

‘I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.’
John 16:12-15

τα ερχόμενα, tá erchómena, the [things that] are to come.

What things? Events, or ideas?

His first words seem to imply ideas,
‘he will guide you into all the truth.’
His later words seem to imply events,
‘he will tell you what is yet to come.’

But everything that can ever be known by us as humans about God is already written in His great book, the Universe, and His little book, the Bible, and they always agree.

What is ‘progressive’ is not His revelation, but our awareness of it.

Christ has appeared to personally start the fire of understanding,

‘I have come to bring fire to the earth. How I wish it were blazing already!’
Luke 12:49

He has come to walk with the disciples and explain everything,

‘This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.’
Luke 24:44

This He has done, but though He has ‘disappeared’ as the man Jesus of Nazareth, He appears continually and forever as the God Jesus Christ,

‘Lo! I am with you till the end of the age.’
Matthew 28:20


Do we see Him? hear Him? follow Him? do what we see Him doing?

If we do, that is progressive revelation. Otherwise, nothing.
If we do, that is being smart, otherwise, very, very dumb.

God is training us, educating us, in a school that He prepared for us before we ever appeared.
Always free, always up to us, always yes, 
or no.

No comments: