Wednesday, May 4, 2011

He has chosen darkness

I know it sounds crazy, but my first reaction when hearing that Osama had been killed was a feeling of intense sorrow.

I went to bed early that night, it was barely 8:30 and not even dark yet. About a half an hour later, I was sound asleep, and dreaming. I was suddenly and abruptly awakened by the voice of my son John standing in the doorway of my room, and loudly, ‘Dad, Osama Bin Laden is dead!’

My eyes popped open, and for a moment I couldn't remember what day it was, or even where I was, but the words just stung me, and I felt intense sorrow, knowing that this man whose earthly life was a foretaste of hell, was now beyond redemption, and we would see and hear him no more in this or any world.

He was human, too, like us, and like us a sinner. He had a mother that probably loved him and thought the world of him when he was first born. But he was born into a family and into a religion that lives in sin and knows no way out. Tragedy upon tragedy.

How satan has deceived us so well, that a billion or more people can live without Christ and think that killing His followers is to honor God! And how shallow and cruel his promises: seventy-two black eyed virgins in paradise. This religion and all the suffering it has caused has made more victims than any other, I think, in the whole world.

So one of the sons of men has been killed as befits all us sinful men, and like Judas he has gone down to darkness and eternal pain, having been the instrument of paradise for others. Yes, where would we be without Judas? But alas for him who has betrayed the Savior of the world. Even the love that created and saved the world cannot reach him. He has chosen darkness.

3 comments:

Sasha said...

You probably saw my post on the topic. It was also sad for - to think of him and of the weird rejoicing around.

P.S. What is the current music that plays on your blog pages?

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

The music playing (when there is) will be shown if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Right now, it is the first movement of Ralph Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 5, which has as its theme, the classic work of English Christian spirituality, The Pilgrim's Progress, which is a book that has a lot of meaning for me, and my life.

The theme of the first movement especially reminds me of our ejection from the city of destruction as we seek the City of God. My life is that of a spiritual nomad, and my tabernacle, the Orthodox faith, goes ahead of me wherever I go, following Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I understand and respect your capacity for unconditional love--for I have experienced it myself and cannot dare to criticize or diminish it. However, I felt no sorrow over this man's death. I believe it was appropraite and necessary. I am glad that you are able to see that he chose--yes, chose--darkness, and that other options were open to him. Your love for mankind is unconditional, but not sentimental or wishy-washy.

A religion of sin? Yes, in his version of God he killed and he destroyed, and he contributed to a financial deterioration of America--and he was proud of it! He boasted about it. He was impotent regarding any ability to do good or to appreciate the goodness of other peoples. Not only did he kill and destroy, but he convinced others to feel the same way and led them also to kill and destroy and to be proud of it.

Now the ocean has opened up and swallowed his body--and his soul is with Judas. While I do not have the capacity to feel sad--I hold him responsible for his choices--I nevertheless find it a sobering event.