Saturday, April 16, 2011

As small as the retina of the eye


Originally posted by Anonymous God-blogger here

It was on the twenty-third day of Adar that God bade Moses, ‘Gather thou all the congregation together unto the door of the Tabernacle.’

At these last words Moses exclaimed, ‘O Lord of the world! How shall I be able to assemble before the door of the Tabernacle, a space that measures only two seah, sixty myriads of adult men and as many youths?’

But God answered, ‘Dost thou marvel at this? Greater miracles than this have I accomplished. The heaven was originally as thin and as small as the retina of the eye, still I caused it to stretch over all the world from one end to the other. In the future world, too, when all men from Adam to the time of the Resurrection will be assembled in Zion, and the multitude will be so great that one shall call to the other, “The place is too strait for me, give place to me that I may dwell!” On that day will I so extend the holy city that all will conveniently find room there.’

Legends of the Bible, by Louis Ginzberg

No comments: