Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It can only happen


It can only happen, when you give up all.
It can only start, when you have sold all your possessions.
No, not your house, your car, your job, your clothes—
though if you want to leave these to others, you may—
but possessions kept so close, held onto so tightly
that no one but you sometimes even knows they are there.

The ownership of privacy is the root of all evil,
though the love of money can take second place,
but both stop the sun from rising on your neighbor’s field.
To wish for ourselves a happiness that excludes all others,
to hedge about our garden to keep out all comers,
this pride of privacy hides the truth, and mocks the life.

Not only world rulers despoil and defraud the poor,
but meek shepherds lolling in the sheepfolds smiling lies
hoard for themselves not money only, but stranded souls.
Not only vineyard laborers beat and blaspheme the past,
but presently murder the Owner’s sons and daughters,
with stone arrows shot from behind their lookout towers.

It can only happen, when you walk away shaken.
All your pockets emptied, your feet unshod, hands staffless,
heart moved like mountain cast into churning sea,
driven out by the darkness that enfolded you in your tomb,
blasted open with the dynamite of unexpected light,
when you walk away shaken, your eyes and ears, opened.

When you have sold all your possessions, return and follow Me.
No point in questioning until you want to hear the answer.
Playing a game of rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief,
preventing others, by your privacy, from entering in,
stopping all at the gate, demanding what cannot be given,
only your door have you locked and barred and sealed by unbelief.

5 comments:

yudikris said...

"Freely receive, freely give", all is the Lord's. I am learning this from you, brother! Glory to God.

Unknown said...

Am I ready to hear this yet?

Orthodox Christian Resources said...

Yes, I cannot help but think to myself that I am the rich young man who Christ asked to give all his possessions to the poor and to follow Him. This is the everyday struggle.

"The ownership of privacy is the root of all evil"

That one I will use somewhere!

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Pandelis,

We know that story well, and we have been taught to see ourselves in our more honest moments as the rich young man, but until we get beyond the symptoms (ownership of things) and strike at the root, until we "walk away shaken" to the depths of our being, having met the Lord as He is, are we in a position to also walk away from verbal or mental self-deprecation, and simply let our lives of discipleship begin. In doing so, we may find we have left a good portion of the Church behind, but that's alright. Christ has a special relationship and plan for each member, and we are not privy to that plan, only our own. And of course, we haven't really left them behind, but the call of Christ, and what He wants of us, far outweighs anything else that clamors for our attention while we live in the body.

I aim to say ‘Yes’ to the Lord, whatever He proposes. That’s what I think, what I say, and what I try to do. Yet, part of me is also praying, “but please, not that,” to things and situations I don’t think I can handle. Though I’m a sinner and an unprofitable servant (and I know it), I still want to be able to say I did at least what little I could, and so I say ‘Yes’ to those easy requests that the Lord has made of me, things I can do and still maintain my ‘independence’ and ‘freedom.’ But every so often, as if to show Himself and me how closely or distantly I am following Him, He presents me with a situation that I cannot say ‘Yes’ to without forfeiting who I think I am or pretend to be.

It is at those moments—glory to God—that He gently lets me know that I am no better than the rich young man, and I must cry, “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner.” And even knowing this, still I follow Him.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, brother, for excellent thoughts, both in the post and in the comment.
It's so much easier to look holy than to be holy; to look like a full disciple of Christ than to be one! Sometimes the battle is fierce, and many of the fiercest parts are within us. Dying to self hurts--and it hurts again and again, because self doesn't want to stay dead. Yet only when dead to self do we fully experience the life of Christ.