Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fellowship of Orthodox Christian University Students at the U of NSW

Though I don't post a "followers" gadget for the same reasons as expressed in the quote from Elder Epiphanios which is found on this featured blog F.O.C.U.S. UNSW, I found these brothers by checking the list of "followers" at my dashboard this morning. I'm not sure how long they've been there, but I noticed that a follower had been added since the last time I checked. I've placed a permanent link to this new (to me) blog in the sidebar under Orthodoxy. When you visit the blog for the first time, make sure your speakers aren't cranked up too high unless you want to be blasted with some robustly male Greek Byzantine chant. Our Australian brothers have the right idea, opening with the praise of God, and right up front they witness to the spirit of Orthodoxy with the words of Elder Epiphanios...

I want whoever is near me to feel that he has room to breathe, not that he is suffocated. I don’t call anyone to me. I don’t hold onto anyone. I don’t chase anyone away. Whoever wants comes, whoever wants stays, whoever wants leaves. I don’t consider anyone a supporter or a follower.

4 comments:

Orthodox Christian Resources said...

Thank you Romanos.

Kali Anastasi to you too!

I can't help it, I'm a Psalti myself at All Saints, Belmore, so I love the 'robust male chant' (which is from Meteora).

God bless you. You are welcome anytime to comment on our blog.

With prayers,

Pandeli

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Hey Pandeli,
Greetings brother from "up over", the Pacific Northwest. I love the chanting on your blog, of course, and I'm glad to know that you are a psalti.
My second oldest son Andreas is the psalti at the Greek church here in Portland. (He's also a guitarist, and goes by the handle jazzpsalti, http://www.youtube.com/user/jazzpsalti, also linked in my sidebar.)
Your FOCUS site is quite excellent, brother. It's good to know that the witnesses of Orthodoxy are strong in Australia. Kali anastasi!
Romanos

Orthodox Christian Resources said...

Ha! Jazzpsalti...I love it! Your son is not bad, not bad at all...

Orthodoxy here is really only starting to blossom. We simply don't have the resources and enough people to continue the ergo. Our Orthodox fellowship is very small at UNSW as well, so we are struggling, but there is a beauty in that.

I also love Greek liturgical language, as you expressed in your comment on my blog.

You have some great material on your blog as well...it seems we have similar blog reading lists.

By the way, I've always thought of Australia as being at the top of the world, never 'down under':)

Pray for us.

Pandeli

Orthodox Christian Resources said...

Ah! You're named after St Romanos the Melodist! Great saint to be named after!

Pandeli