Sunday, January 11, 2009

In general about the close of the age…

Last week I was going through a book shelf that I don't visit very much. All the books I use on a regular basis are in my little office, the "cave," but the upstairs book shelf has books that I've read once and didn't really need to read again… with some exceptions, as I found out!

There I found a softbound booklet with colorful glossy covers that I'd forgotten I even owned, a publication of Orthodox Kypseli Publications, of Thessalonica, Greece—the city whose church the holy apostle Paul wrote two letters to, both of which had teachings about the end times, and in the first of which occurs one of my favorite Greek words, ἁρπαγησόμεθα (arpaghisómetha, Greek, "to take by force" or "be caught up"), describing one of the events of the last days, "Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord" (1 Thessalonians 4:17).

Having quite forgotten what this booklet contained, and thinking it might be an Orthodox interpretation of the book of Revelation, I started perusing it. As I did, it came back to me that this was not an interpretation of Revelation at all, but on the contrary, just passages from scripture and the Church fathers that offered us who are living at the close of the age instructions and guidelines to follow, so we will not be lost. This is very much in keeping with the sorts of things I have written both in my blog, A ramble on Revelation, and in comments on the subject to others. I was happy to see that all I've been doing is handing over what was handed to me in this booklet.

I'm also posting the front and back covers of the booklet. The back cover shows the whole icon from which I used an excerpt, a close up of Christ with the seven stars in His hand on my post ごらんなさい 私はすべてを新しくします. Both images will come up large if you click on them, even though the back cover is shown smaller (right).

Here are some excerpts I'd like to share for the benefit of the brothers who are not within the Orthodox koinonía. (This booklet is an English translation out of a modern Greek original, and somewhat awkward in places. I have not edited anything.)

The Revelation of the Evangelist Saint John the theologian is the last godly inspired book of the New Testament. It was written on Patmos in 95 A.D. and comprises 22 Chapters, which refer to prophecies which are mainly ecclesiastical, political and about wars. What people could not even think about one hundred years ago, [e.g., the possibility of nuclear wars] the Book of Revelation foretold nearly 1,900 years ago.

It is time for the godly inspired book of the Revelation of the Evangelist John the Theologian to be studied by all the faithful Christians, in order to avoid the dreadful traps which the instruments of the Antichrist are craftily setting up. The Holy Spirit Himself urges us to do this through the godly-wise Evangelist, John, not only to hear and read; but also to keep the godly inspired words it teaches us, telling us: "Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy and keep what is written in them. For the time is near" (Revelation 1:3)

The word of God is always useful to us, especially during these last wicked times; when, because of our many and great sins, the all-seeing God will allow the just punishment of unrepentant humanity with a multitude of great afflictions.

The signs of the times shout to us that we are living in apocalyptic times, and the things which the Holy Spirit has prophesied about our days are being fulfilled. Our general apostasy bears witness to the worldly and satanic train of thought—contrary to God's will—that imbues us.

Then, the booklet first goes through the New Testament, particularly the epistles, quotes passages, then applies them to how we must conduct ourselves in the last days. After it reviews the teachings of the Bible, it then gives a number of quotations from the Church fathers, and also shows how to apply them in the last days.

This little booklet in all is only 45 pages long, and it was prepared and published in Greece, where as a result of being absorbed into the European Union, Christians are starting to see the beginnings of the regime of Antichrist. Reading it, I wondered to myself if they weren't perhaps "jumping the gun" on some things, but then, mentally looking around where I live, maybe we are just not as vigilant as they, or as perceptive.

As we prepare to enter the "new era" promised by the supporters of our next American president, let's continue to be watchful, for as the Word of God says, "the time is close."

1 comment:

Hilarius said...

Brother Romanos:

1. I ask for your prayers

2. Have you read:

On the Thousand Year Reign (Chiliasm)
Ch. 16 from The Truth of Our Faith
by Elder Cleopa of Romania

?

which can be found at

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/ec_thousandyearreign.aspx

[note, this is a quite conservative Orthodox Christian site and has some particularly strong things to say against the 'ecumenism' of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Istanbul - but it has some interesting articles and links]

-In Christ

Eric John