Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Money Talk

"Your checkbook is a theological statement
as to where your heart is."

I struggled with this concept for a VERY long time. Along the way I allowed myself to get hoodwinked by the TBN and mega-church "style" of thinking about money, that your money belongs to God, so get with the program and give your ten percent (or more, really). That's supposed to be the starting point. I doubtfully listened also to the teaching that "heaven's floodgates will open" for you when you tithe, that God will erect a protection around your income, etc. I know this last part is a Judaic teaching found in the Talmud, and there are "stories" to prove its validity, some quite entertaining.

But what I've finally come to is this: My salvation was paid for with More than money (see John 3:16), and what I've learned from this is that the return I make to God is to be paid with more than money (see 1 John 3:16).

The tithe is a principle of the Old Covenant and connected to the Temple in Jerusalem, which is no more. Also, there were various kinds of tithes. To whom or to what would we pay tithes now, since We are the living Temple of the Holy Spirit? I thought the answer was, my local church, it being a part of the big Church of Christ. I don't think so now. In fact, the institutional church has only one place to put our tithes—in its denominational stomach, by men "whose god is their belly" (see Philippians 3:19).

I knew this at the beginning of my Christian life… the Church is not to operate at a surplus. The earthly blessings which we enjoy from the Lord are due Him in complete service and self-abandonment to His purposes. And what are these purposes? Read what James has to say about "true religion." Read what the prophets of Israel have to say. Hear what Jesus Christ says in the gospels.

Instead of using our money to give glory to God by multiplying "houses of worship" and "worldwide ministries," that commodity, along with all my "possessions" and my life itself, is due the Lord in a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving, that is offered whenever I do His will in the place and time I find myself right now.

In practical terms, what I found in myself and what I see in others in my church, is giving money bolsters pride and the unwillingness to offer time and energy, very personal commodities. Anybody who has it can give money. But time, and attention (some would say caring, or love), who is prepared to offer that, even a tenth of what they have been given?

Money? I never think of it. It always comes. The Lord sends it.
(Mother Theresa of Calcutta)

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
(Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah)

2 comments:

Suelo said...

Amen, Romanós. Yes, we think of God as some kind of one-armed bandit. We put in coins, expecting returns. Who can simply give to God out of love, meaining no expectations? Love has zero expectations, and love gives ALL.

It seems the difference between the "Old Testament" law and the "New" is that the old was a training ground (schoolteacher) for the New. In the Old, folks are commanded to set aside 10%, for the temple, as you say. In the New, folks are implored (not commanded) to give ALL. In the Old, folks are commanded to set aside one day in seven away from business. In the New, folks are implored to devote every day to God. Obviously, most of us are still stuck in the Old training ground, which is okay (because we're learning), IF we can but admit that we haven't grasped the New Testament yet! Only then will God grant us the mercy & power to give ALL.

Anonymous said...

Wow. The Blogspot system is working today and I am finally able to post comments. I have tormented myself all my life over the tithing issue: not because I am selfish, but because it never made sense to me. It portrays the Kingdom of Heaven as a mafia-like operation: pay me 10 percent if you want my 'protection.' I find myself questioning the Protestant prosperity movement because there are rich unbelievers who never gave God 10 percent: so why were they 'blessed' in return for nothing? I would like to post Money Talk on my blog, Walk in Wisdom. I am pre-writing an article on a similar topic, and would like to 'partner' my article with yours on my blog. Many thanks for having the courage to talk about this sensitive issue!