Thursday, September 22, 2011

Running along behind you


          Running along behind Your followers
          I dare call myself Your disciple.

          Hiding among the baggage
          of Your Prophets and Holy Ones
          I dare say I am a pilgrim.

          Of all that is best in me, Lord,
          I am ashamed, and I am hushed
          In Your Presence.

          My thoughts, words and deeds
          Condemn me for my inaction,
          For only Your thoughts, Your words,
          Are worthy, and Your deeds.

          Look for me, Mother of Christ,
          Among the pilgrim host,
          And finding me not there,
          Seek me again in Jerusalem.

          Even if only in the shadows
          Of the Temple’s copper gates,
          I want to be found hanging
          On your Son’s fruitful words.

          Found hanging, Saints of God,
          With you who hear the call and run
          To the place of your crowning
          And your everlasting new birth.

          To steal the word of your call
          I have been brazen,
          But once stolen, let me keep it.
          Forgive me, commend me to your Lord.

          Running along behind you,
          I dare call myself His disciple.

          Lord, I trust in Your mercy.
          I am Yours, so save me.

— Romanós
Version française par Claude Lopez-Ginisty 

2 comments:

Claude LOPEZ-GINISTY said...

Dear Romanòs,

I took the liberty of translating your poem/ prayer into French. It will be on my blog tomorrow Sept. 24, 2011.(http://www.orthodoxologie.blogspot.com/)
In Christ,
hypodeacon Claude (Lopez-Ginisty)


COURANT DERRIERE TOI

Courant derrière Tes disciples
J'ose me dire Ton disciple.

Me cachant parmi les bagages
de Tes prophètes et de Tes Saints
J'ose dire que je suis un pèlerin.

De tout ce qui est le meilleur en moi, Seigneur,
J'ai honte et je suis coi
En Ta Présence.

Mes pensées, paroles et actes
Me condamnent pour mon inaction,
Car seulement Tes pensées, Tes paroles,
Et Tes actions, sont dignes.

Recherche moi, Mère du Christ,
Parmi l'armée de pèlerins,
Et ne me trouvant pas là,
Cherche-moi encore une fois à Jérusalem.

Même si seulement dans l'ombre
Des portes de cuivre du Temple,
Je veux être retrouvé pendu
Aux paroles fructueuses de ton Fils.

Retrouvé pendu, saints de Dieu,
Avec vous qui entendez l'appel et accourez
Au lieu de votre couronnement,
Et de votre éternelle nouvelle naissance.

Pour voler la parole de votre appel
J'ai été effronté,
Mais une fois volée, laissez-moi la garder.
Pardonnez-moi, recommandez-moi à votre Seigneur.

Courant derrière vous,
J'ose me dire Ton disciple.

Seigneur, j'ai confiance en Ta miséricorde.
Je suis Tien, alors sauve-moi.

Version française Claude Lopez-Ginisty
d'après
http://cost-of-discipleship.blogspot.com/2011/09/running-along-behind-you.html

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

This poem is addressed to:

Christ - first four stanzas
Theotokos - next two stanzas
Saints - next three stanzas
God - final stanza

Of course, Christ God is addressed at first, and the Divine Nature at last, and in between all those whom He has gathered unto Himself.