Saturday, December 12, 2009

Korean Greek Orthodoxy

I was very surprised and happy to receive a collection of photographs of Saint Nicholas Korean Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Seoul from my dear friend and brother Heo Seung Pil, known to us as "Phil" (pictured left, taken at the Oregon Coast). How Brock and I met Phil on a flight to Japan and started our friendship is told in the post Passover Flight. Phil's original email was missing his message, but he just resent it, and I want to share what he says...

As promised, I called the Korean Orthodox church and learned that there is a service at 10:00 A.M. every Sunday. So, I visited today and participated in the service, which ran almost two hours. The service was very spiritual and was nothing like any church services I had ever been to. I was awed by the holy mood there and could sense most of the believers were not like other usual Christians. Anyhow, after the service I asked for permission to take some photos of the inside of the church. I hope both of you like the photos. This church was not big, but I like the genuineness, which was something I always find it difficult to grasp in most of the churches I had been to. Some day, if both of you come to Seoul again I will take you there. I prayed for both of you during the service as you would do for me.

It's wonderful to see how the Korean people have taken to Orthodoxy and how they are developing it in their culture. The ikons have inscriptions in Hangul as well as Greek, which is what one would expect, but otherwise one feels that the sanctuary could be in Greece or on Mount Athos itself. It is a very beautiful cathedral.

Click on the images to zoom them. The detail is great!

3 comments:

yudikris said...

wow! very encouraging and beautiful photos! This reminds me to Father Daniel's story when he was first saw an Orthodox Church in South Korea... Very great! :)

Unknown said...

Very beautiful and encouraging.

Unknown said...

That's fascinating... I plunked it on facebook.