Saturday, October 10, 2009

An old poem

Today is sorting day, and I came upon an old book of poems I had written when I was in my mid-30's. I have actually blogged some of these poems before, but I'm not sure I've ever blogged this one. I stopped my sorting to read the little book until I reached this, which I needed to hear again right now, and which I share with you…

The word is mighty

The word is mighty,
of this I have no doubt,
though it is but the sound
of the immortal spring that flows with life only,
not with life and death,
to which, when thirsting,
I repair and drink.

The mind has ears
for what it cannot think
as it would join its syllables to breath.
I quiet sit
astride its wanderings
in restoration
never reasoned out.

Some the word as weapon,
some as spade apply,
or verbal idol lavished with applause,
or bait the trap
between themselves and fate.

Some weaken what is strong,
some fortify the feeble
or manipulate the laws,
and I,
I listen,
slake my thirst, and wait.

— Romanós

4 comments:

yudikris said...

:). Although I am not sure if I have poetic mind, but I find this poem very inspiring!

pilgrim said...

Ameyn! Hallelu Yah! It is not often that I get to read your poetry brother! And I am thankful to God that I can now...

Jim Swindle said...

An excellent poem. The rhythm of ideas works well. Have you noticed that rhythm of ideas (not of sounds) seems to be the basis of most Hebrew poetry? That makes it easier to translate.

God's word can also be used well as a weapon (see Ephesians 6), but too often we use it for everything else before taking a few moments to use it to slake our spiritual thirst.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Thanks, all my brothers, for your kind comments and appreciations. I don't write much poetry anymore, except when I am carried away and sometimes my prose approaches the poetic level of the Orthodox troparia and kontakia (short hymns we sing in church, usually just one or two verses, but very potent).

I appreciate your comments especially, as I recognize in you superlative writers and poets, and full of the testimony of our living God.