Thursday, June 18, 2009

Even now the axe…

An evangelical pastor challenged his congregation's lead team to get re-focused on the things that come out of our mouths. One of the team members writes,

"We’re trying to refrain from all of the following, between now and midnight, Friday:
Sarcasm

Negativity (that is not needed to express a valid point)
Bitterness about another person or a negative circumstance (like someone who does something “stupid” or an electronic device that won't do what you want it to)
Joking around and busting
Talking to someone with malicious intent about someone else
Rolling of the eyes when someone’s name is mentioned."


I was surprised that anyone would try to approach these problems in this way, by using a challenge to exact better behavior.
After all, aren't these Christians?
Aren't these people who should know that it is not in the power of our meager and weak wills to raise ourselves?
Aren't these people who should know that it is by grace that we are saved, by faith, and not by works of the law?

Wait a minute! All they're trying to do is behave more like Christians should. What's wrong with that? And why shouldn't they try?

By all means try. To try to behave in a Christian manner is commendable, but who gets the credit if you succeed?
Divine scripture says through holy apostle Paul, "not by works, lest any man should boast." I don't have to quote scriptures to you.
These are well-known, uncontested truths, or are they?

Back to my question, "who gets the credit if you succeed?"
Not to be a spoil sport or a pessimist, let me assure you that on your own you will not succeed. You may "branch out and flower for a time" as the Psalms say of the wicked, but in the end you will fail. If this were not so, then Christ died in vain. If we could be "good" on our own, then there is no reason for Christ to die for us, no need for His righteousness to cover us.

This is what I wrote to the team member as a comment on his blog (forgive me if I seem to repeat myself):

All of your efforts will come to nothing in the end, unless you submit yourselves to the truth of God's Word, which says, "What comes out of a man is taken from what he puts inside himself."

Practical application—
Rather than try to focus on and cure the symptoms,
go for the root, and axe it.


And how do you do that?

By filling up on the Word of God, not on television;
on the Word of God, not on the internet;
on the Word of God, not on computer games;
on the Word of God, not on newspapers and magazines;
on the Word of God, not on the contents of your iPod;
on the Word of God, not on the latest Christian books;
on the Word of God, not on rumors;
on the Word of God, not on hanging out with your friends.

Do you see a connecting idea in my example of practical application above?

The downfall of the churches as assemblies of God's people, and of the people themselves as individuals, comes from the utter lack of respect for and immersion in the Word of God, i.e., the Holy Bible.

Read the Word of God every day, throughout the day, fill yourselves with it, rather than filling yourselves up on that which cannot last and which divides and slays the spirit.

Remember, it is not just money that Jesus is talking about when He says, "You cannot serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or love the one and treat the other with scorn. You cannot serve both God and Mammon." The bottom line on Mammon is that it is anything that diverts your attention, unlawfully, from the Word of God.

Again I say to you, don't just try to cure the symptoms, strike at the root of worldly attitudes in yourselves by using the axe of the Word of God. Christ has already used it to fell the world tree of death. Now He has given it to you to do the same in yourselves.

"Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees…"

Glory to You, O God, glory to You!

5 comments:

yudikris said...

Great points, Romanos! I praise God for this. It speaks to me personally, because I souldn't be immoderate in the material things as you mentioned above, rather being joyful to love and be filled with the Word of God...

Yudhie

jeff said...

Hmmm. As the source of this whole discussion, I'm feeling a bit torn.
Overall, I'm not in any major disagreement with much of what you say here.
I think that what we're doing and why we're doing it isn't clear here. I think it's quite likely that I own the responsibility for doing a poor job of communicating it.

Nonetheless, I think the most Christ-like thing for me to do here is to is to (in and through Christ) ignore my human tendency to wanted to debate, defend, and clarify. At this point, I'd be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Hey Jeff, after reading your comment on your blog, I added another comment. Last night I wrote a blog post based on the continued discussion, but realising that this was turning into a debate, I discarded it.

I have launched several posts in my blog from starting points beginning in yours. That seems odd to me, but sometimes the disconnect between our expressions of Christian life is so astonishing, that it makes me think things through at my end, and come up with what I do.

There is no intention of theological combat here, as I'm sure you understand, otherwise you would have blacklisted me and publicly called me a jerk, as some have done. On my side too, because of my Orthodox lifestyle, there is no urge to debate. For us, all meaningful debate was finished by the end of the seven Councils, and the debating art that figured so prominently in early Greek Church history has mostly disappeared. There are still, of course, some Orthodox writers and educators who let themselves be drawn into debate with non-Orthodox, but that is not my call or style. Within Orthodoxy itself, disagreement is handled differently than by the method of debate, but that's a whole discussion in itself.

Thanks for being so patient with one like myself who can't see over the edge of his open bible to notice what other people are doing.

jeff said...

Thank you, for your ongoing medley of challenge and support-- both are necessary, and appreciated. There are differences between our expressions of Christianity, you, also have inspired a goodly number of posts from me, and given me cause to look at what I am doing, who I am, and what I believe.

The cool thing about building up a small bit of history with somebody is that it's easier to hear them speaking into your life. As I read your words, it occurred to, much to my shame, that I might have written you off as a jerk if these posts had not come in the context of a relationship where you'd established yourself to be loving and fair-minded. This causes me to wonder if I haven't written folks off (online or in the real world) simply because I didn't give them the benefit of the doubt, simply because the relationship hadn't happened yet.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Rejoinder to your last sentence:
That happens to all of us.