Monday, May 4, 2009

A childlike religion

It's not often that I get to tell people about Orthodoxy, because we don't promote it: we usually wait to be asked. If someone wants to know about it so bad that they have to ask, then it's worth telling them, I think. For me, this happens mainly during the Greek Festival on the first weekend of October at Aghía Triás, my church. I have been standing watch in the church for the last probably twenty years—I don't think I've missed a single year—not bragging, I just like to do it. I am a doorkeeper of the Lord's temple, that's my job, 24/7. At festival time, it takes on a literal meaning.

What brought some thoughts to mind was reading an excellent post at Fr Milovan's blog, Again and Again, which I think is very pivotal, both to the significance of his blog's title, and to the Orthodox faith in general. I won't spoil it this time by copying whole swatches out of his post, Our Father Is Younger Than We, but I want to invite you to read it, by clicking on the linked title. What makes it intriguing starts with the title. The Father he's referring to is not a priest or someone's dad; it is God Himself, our Father. How can our Father be younger than we?
Read the post and find out!

I just love what Fr Milovan has to say. This is the Orthodoxy that I adhere to. Everything about it is paradox and irony. People ask, "How can you stand for so long in those services? They're hours long!" and "How do you put up with all that repetition?" and "Why do people seem to be crossing themselves all over the place, and not just once, but three times?" The list of questions goes on, interminably. While I'm on duty, the Lord gives me infinite patience in dealing with them all—and their questions, what's more ironic, are just as long and repetitive and spontaneously ceremonial to me as our Orthodoxy seems to them.
It's a perfect match!

The mystery of Orthodoxy is not what most people think. It's not arcane and secret doctrines or impossibly complex ("byzantine") theological dogmas. It's not the apparent rigidity of ceremonial which, for unsympathetic (or too grown-up) outsiders, seems empty and meaningless. It's not even (what appears to some as) the pomp and fussyness of worship, which combined with the Oriental chanting and the fragrant frankincense smoke filling the sanctuary, creates an almost psychedelic experience (a living, moving three-dimensional hieroglyphic, it's been called).

No, the mystery of Orthodoxy is that, underneath what the eye can see, lies a childlike religion, startling in its simplicity, a following of Jesus in the world, almost incognito. What the five senses perceive in the encounter with Orthodox Christianity in its traditions, is the luxuriant, redundant joy of the childlike heart exulting ceaselessly and seamlessly in the Presence of God. What some experience as "too much" from an adult point of view, others receive gladly and can't seem to get enough of.

That's one reason, I think, why Orthodoxy isn't for everyone. It takes a child's heart, simple enough to trust that the Father is so totally caring and careful, that it doesn't just believe, it knows that nothing happens without Him knowing, and therefore, all will be well. That's also one reason why we immerse our young in every aspect of the faith, even giving communion to unknowing infants. It is this foundation that every Orthodox can fall back on, rebuilding, if need be, after suffering the damage that the world is sure to inflict.

A childlike religion, lighting candles and standing them up in sandboxes in the church, bringing flowers, even the most humble, and leaving them in front of the icons as a love gift, taking part in dozens of small ceremonies—not very different in some ways from Judaism, another childlike religion—and always asking questions, and full of wonder at the Presence of God. None of us ever really leaves our childhood behind, but not all of us will admit it. But it is to such as these that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs.

"Suffer the little children to come unto Me…" is a much wider invitation than most people realize, and that too is the invitation of true Orthodoxy, wherever it exists.

2 comments:

yudikris said...

Great article Father,
It has been a blessing to read and reflect on what you write. This also encourages me to invite my friends to come and see the Genuine, Orthodox Church. In my university here in Indonesia, I am the single person, (I hope there will be the second, third....etc.) who is (now catechument)embracing Orthodoxy. And, yes father, many times I get questions about Orthodoxy and by then I will very joyful to tell my amazement and gladness to be in Orthodox Church and I keep praying that I will not be "the only Orthodox" anymore....

And, by the way, Father may I copy this article and print it out? Thanks

Bless me, Father!

Yudikris

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Brother Yudikris,

I was so very happy to receive your comment, just to know that you exist, and that you are a living witness for Christ in an Islamic country. I don't have to tell you to be careful, as it can be dangerous to be a Christian in Indonesia, especially an Orthodox Christian. I briefly visited your blog "Heart Beat" and saw your other blogs as well. I have saved your blog so I can visit it every day, and get to know you better. If there is anything that you need, let me know, and if I can, I will send it to you.

You may reprint any of the articles on my blog, without my permission, or rather, permission is granted. We receive without charge, so we give without charge. All glory to God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Lastly, brother, please do not address me as "Father" as I am not a priest, or even a deacon. I am only a servant of Jesus Christ, and unworthy of any honor. By His call on my life, I am an evangelist. I cannot do otherwise, even if my work is imperfect. Christ is the only perfection I know and am looking for.

Let's stay in touch, if you have time, through our emails. I left this as a public comment, just to share with the brothers what I would say to you, and to let anyone else who might be mistaken about me, that I am not a priest.

As for a blessing, dear brother, you have already received the best blessing in knowing Christ, for to know Him, that is eternal life.