Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Church fathers are alive and well

What? Do you think I am speaking of the “great ones” like Ignatios of Antioch, the Desert Fathers, Chrysostom, and the Three Hierarchs (Basil and the two Gregories)?

No, though they may be great, and their teachings and acts still resound till our own day, I am speaking of those presently alive in the body, who with hearts on fire for God without knowing it, speak, write and act for Him just as these, their noble, spiritual ancestors, did.

And where do we find such treasures as the church fathers of the present day? Who among the great hierarchs and ecumenical prelates do we find speaking, writing and acting for God, as did those of ancient times?

Well, I’ve heard plenty of praise for men like Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomaios of Constantinople and New Rome, who drags the world behind him in awe and wonder as he pontificates and enlightens us on our duty to be “stewards of the earth.” And I’ve seen the “Christianity” shelves of major bookstores crowded with books by such modern greats as Max Lucado, Josh McDowell, and Bishop T. D. Jakes. But I think that the greatest of church fathers are now, as always, hidden among us, like lilies in a bed of leeks, growing quietly, unnoticed except by chance.

Having heard some speak, I consider myself fortunate. Having seen some act, I have been encouraged to follow. Having read some write, I want to share.

Here are some words I just read, that I want to share. They are from a comment on the text of James 1:9-11. If you would like to read the piece from which they were taken, and I heartily recommend it, click on the author's name at the end of this post.


“We all have a little Pharasee in us. We all have a way of making ourselves feel better by finding someone or some group to whom we feel morally superior.”

“God will re-make the universe and is in the process as we speak. Everything is being perfected. The Spirit is working on us one sin at a time to get us ready for this new Heaven and new Earth. The problem is that I want to decide when and how that perfection takes place. I am trying to put myself in the place of God. This is the core of all of our sin.”

“Take a look at your lot in life. Whatever it may be, be grateful for it. Be grateful but do not cling to the position. God is working to level the playing field as we speak. The sun will wither our pride, and grow the seed of love in the compost of our poverty.”

“Be grateful when you are in a low position because you will be reminded to look up. Be grateful when you realize you are putting your trust in richness. When you find you are putting your faith in richness of money, morality, spirituality, or anything other than God, be grateful because the sun that is the Holy Spirit has just shown you your flower that He will soon wither away.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brother, thank you for your words of encouragement. They come at a time when I need to hear them. God bless you.

In Christ,
-Andrew