Sunday, January 6, 2008

Theophany in Japan

Here is a video that lets us have a glimpse of the Theophany blessing of the waters as celebrated in Japan. The bishop in this video is really getting into the spirit of the feast… joyful, childlike and free…



When you finish watching the video that is posted above, a series of thumbnails of additional videos of the Theophany service, and other Japanese Orthodox videos, will appear at the bottom of the window that you can click and watch. I've watched most of them, and what surprises me is the uniformity with Orthodoxy elsewhere. In spite of musical variation (the Japanese Church uses Russian Orthodox chant), the ceremonial, sound, feel and look of the services is the same as in my Greek church. There's also some cool video footage of Orthodoxy around the world. Since I first posted this, I notice that some of the other videos have changed. The one of the Ethiopian Orthodox service that I mentioned before is gone, replaced by others, so they just keep coming (and going)! Take a look!
(There's also a video or two in the group which I didn't care for much. That's alright! As stated in the side panel of my blog, “Links to and from this blog are not intended to imply [my] agreement with the views expressed in any of the sites or [video] documents thereby provided.”)

No comments: